Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Potato, First Harvest 6-3-14


This year I planted 5 Russet potatoes. I use supermarket organic grown russet potatoes as seeds. I just wash them, let them sprout then cut into 2 pieces, each with a sprout, let them heal then planted.

One of the plants was looking weak and losing color while the others are still fairly green yet. So I decided to dig the yellowing one up and see how it was growing. Wow I was surprised. There were only these three potatoes and a couple marbles under the plant. The big one weighed 16.0 oz. all three weighed 26 oz. I think I think the big one is dinner tonight!
It was dinner tonight and it was goooood! :-)

I'll wait maybe 2 more weeks and dig up the others. Today is 108 days since planting.



9 comments:

  1. That is pretty good for an early one and such a good size. My potatoes were planted back about the end of March and have a ways to go yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planted them early like Feb 15th. I wasn't worried about a frost or freeze because I hill them and keep the greens under ground until Mar 15th my OK to transplant tomatoes outside etc. Rare a freeze happens after Mar 15th. If it does I just cover the plants.

      Delete
  2. Nice looking taters. Almost 2lbs from a half tater.Close to the ideal 10 to 1 possible return on planting.I had good luck a few years ago with red potatoes.Russets are harder You did good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that 3-4 lbs per plant was a good yeild for comercial growers, I could be wrong. I have never seen that much yet from my plants. Maybe as time goes on I'll get the perfect soil, fertilizer and water combination to get 3-4 per plant.

      Delete
  3. My, that's one large....potato you have there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a surprise. Can't wait till I dig up the rest of the plants and see if there's more like that one. We baked it and then split it for dinner and it was good.

      Delete
  4. I have never had a potato that large, but I have only ever grown red 'new' potatoes & sweet potatoes. those look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first for me also. Normally I grow Yukon Gold but never had a 16 oz one.

      Delete
  5. The average yield of potato plants is 10 to 15 lbs. per 10 foot row. If the seed potatoes are planted every 10 inches, the average yield would be 1 to 1.5 lbs. per plant. told you you did good.what i had meant to say was 1 lb of seed potatoes would yeild 10lb



    Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_8012757_expected-yield-per-potato-plant.html#ixzz33jYPToME

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome!