Thursday, June 12, 2014

Sausage Recipe Update 6-9-14


I made a small change to my cheap and simple recipe for Italian Sausage. It is a great survival sausage because most of us have all these spices in our pantry.

Normally I do add additional pork fat, but this time for additional fat I used bacon. Why bacon? Because of its high fat content, easily available and for the added flavor it adds. Also it's far easier than asking the butcher to get off his ass and package the extra fat for me or most commonly they say they don't have any in back to package for me.

Added some brown sugar and toasted the fennel seeds, Oh Yummy! I use this Italian sausage on pizza, in sauces or as a breakfast sausage patty. I would have to class this recipe as a medium/mild heat sausage.


Today I made three (3) different sausages: Italian and the Creole and Bratwurst. All three used the same mixture ratio of meats, just the seasoning changed.


Italian Sausage Seasoning:
(use 2 tablespoons of this Italian Seasoning per pound on meat)
1 lb Bacon for added fat and flavor or 3/4 lb more pork fat.
4 tsp Fennel, toasted to a very light brown (2-3 minutes in a hot dry skillet)
1 tbs. Oregano
1 tsp Garlic powder
1/2  tsp Cayenne
1 tbs Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tbs Brown Sugar (light or dark)


Creole Sausage Seasoning:
(use 2 tablespoons of this Creole Seasoning per pound on meat)
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme


Bratwurst Sausage Seasoning:
(use 2 tablespoons of this Bratwurst Seasoning per pound on meat)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp yellow mustard
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp onion powder


Directions:
Cube the meat into about ¾ inch cubes. This is typical when making sausage, it allows all the spices you add to come in contact with many of the meats cubed surfaces for even spicing throughout the sausage as you grind it.

In a large bowl add the cubed pork and bacon  strips cut into 1/2 long pieces. Mix evenly.

Then evenly sprinkle all the spices and water over the blended pork and fat and toss like a salad to evenly distribute the spices.

To grind the mixture I used a small 3/16 inch diameter holes grinding plate. You can use a larger size if you prefer.

Shape the sausage into patties or into appropriate bulk portions and freeze.

Or if you wish you can stuff it into casings.





I cut up all the bacon into 1/2 to 3/4 wide or long pieces.


Then separated the pieces the best I could and added to the bowl.


The cubed pork shoulder butt was added on top the bacon. From left to right ready for the spices to be added and blended with the meat and then ground is; 3.5lbs for Italian sausage, next is 1.5lbs for Creole Sausage and last is 1.5lbs for Bratwurst Sausage. The spices used in each is in front of the bowls.


After grinding I put the meats into gallon Zip-Lock bags and then into the refrigerator overnight.


Weighing into 1/2 lb portions.


The Italian Sausage divided into 1/2 lb portions.


The Bratwurst Sausage divided into 1/2 lb portions


The Creole Sausage divided into 1/2 lb portions.


Next day the last step is dividing the meat into 1/2 lb portions then vacuum bag seal it then into the freezer.


Bratwurst and Bagel for Breakfast

Today I made my favorite breakfast, a toasted Bagel or English Muffing with a patty of home made pan fried sausage and some cheddar cheese that was sliced off a 3 lb. block. Put it together and micro-wave it for 10-15 seconds to soften the cheese. Major yummy! Sometimes I substitute the sausage for a micro-wave cooked egg.

The bagel was purchased from the supermarket and is called "Bagel Thins". It's about the same diameter as a regular bagel but less than half as thick. Makes for a light but filling breakfast and very tasty.

The next time I make homemade bagels I'm going to try and make them thinner like these. I really don't like to buy bagels when I can make my own, saves $$.

The Bratwurst sausage using the Bratwurst seasoning from Pensey's tastes like the real thing. It is very good.


7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. I'm always on the lookout for good sausage recipes and these recipes look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam, I try to keep all my recipes based on what I have in long term storage so they may seem a little minimal but that's just the way it is. During TSHTF I will have pizza while other are eating FEMA food or dirt. You can always change the recipe to your liking. I encourage all to make a small batch and taste it then adjust to suit.

      Delete
  2. Oooooo! Let me know how you like Penzy's brat seasoning. We've got a BUNCH of ground pork in the freezer that needs to be made into sausages, and soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, I'll give it a serious taste test this weekend and let you know.

      Delete
  3. Looks good! Thanks for sharing; we like the thinner bagels here, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those recipes sound really good Mike. Looking forward to trying them.


    Mikey in N FL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mikey, they are. They are simple to make and taste oh soooo gooood!

      Delete

Your thoughts are welcome!